REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
Avenue Jean-Paul II, 01 B.P. 1387, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Financial Sector Development Department (PIFD)
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR ADFI OPERATIONS CONSULTANT (FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT, PROCUREMENT, PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT & GENERAL ADMINISTRATION)
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) “the Bank” hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following assignment: ADFI Operations Consultant (Financial Management, Procurement, Portfolio Management and General Administration), ‘the Consultant’, for the Africa Digital Financial Inclusion Facility (ADFI) in the Financial Sector Development Department (PIFD).
- ADFI was established in 2019 and represents a partnership of the Bank working with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), Agence Française de Développement (AfD) the Ministry of Finance, Government of Luxembourg and the French Treasury, Ministry for the Economy, Finance and Recovery as the Initial Donors. ADFI seeks to break down the barriers to Digital Financial Services (DFS)’ growth and uptake in order to advance financial inclusion through catalytic and strategic investments throughout Africa. ADFI’s design was informed by an in-depth market assessment that looked at the factors affecting DFS growth and uptake in several countries and regions in Africa. The Facility has identified four pillars of intervention to work across namely, (i) Infrastructure (ii) Policy and Regulation (iii) Products and Innovation and (iv) Capacity Building with Gender as a cross cutting theme.
- The coordination unit set up by the Bank to operationalise ADFI is seeking to recruit an Operations Consultant (Financial Management, Procurement, Portfolio Management and General Administration) to join the team. The Consultant will directly report to the ADFI Coordinator with dotted reporting to the other ADFI coordination unit consultants. The consultant will work closely with the AfDB’s operations teams including procurement, financial management, project supervision, integrity, legal and ICT teams.
- The services required from the consultant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Spearheading the fiduciary requirements for the ADFI team including financial management, procurement, integrity and legal.
- Providing technical services and advice related to ADFI’s procurement and financial management needs applying the Bank’s rules and procedures and those of ADFI where applicable.
- Directly contribute to procurement, financial management and integrity due diligence assessment of project proposals under development
- Key liaison point for ADFI MLE activities
- Spearheading ADFI’s portfolio management to ensure effective and quality implementation including sub-grantee reporting.
- Spearhead the preparation of ADFI’s regular and annual reports particularly those focusing on accounting for the utilized as well as outstanding resources.
- Preparation of ADFI performance dashboard against specific project and overall facility objectives
- Spearhead the preparation and logistics for key meetings and events e.g. ADFI Governing Council sessions, team meetings, webinars etc.
- Support the ADFI team with general administration including ICT and HR.
- Maintain effective documents database for ADFI key documents in shared folders.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- The candidate must have a minimum of a master’s degree in any of the development disciplines but mainly, finance, economics and engineering. S/he must have at least 8-10 years working experience in executing financial management, procurement, portfolio management and general administration functions. Working experience of financial management and procurement functions in projects funded by Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and Development Financial Institutions (DFIs), such as the AfDB, and hence good knowledge of their procedures and guidelines is highly desirable. Other desired skills, knowledge and experience desired include:
- Strong knowledge of project financial management and procurement rules and regulations including those internationally recognized
- Ability to work as part of a team, contributing relevant procurement, financial management, portfolio management and administration support and providing mentoring and training to other team members where needed
- Experience in both public and private sector procurement and financial management applying MDB and DFI rules and procedures.
- A good understanding of administration and financial management tasks including budget preparation
- Networking and coaching skills, with resourcefulness and attention to detail
- Good interpersonal, communication and project management skills
- High integrity and accountability in all aspects of procurement, administration and financial management
- Ability to communicate fluently in written and verbal English with working knowledge of French as an added advantage.
- Independent, ability to work with minimum supervision and to work across different teams
- Knowledge of digital financial services is a plus
- The contract term is for one year with the possibility of renewal. The Consultant will be based at the African Development Bank headquarters in Abidjan Cote d’Ivoire. The expected start date is 1st January 2022.
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Procurement Policy for Recruitment of Corporate Consultants and ADFI’s Operating Guidelines. Please note that interest expressed by a consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
- Interested and suitable candidates should submit an updated, concise and relevant to the role resume of not more than 4 pages and a cover note in MS word of no more than one and a half to two (2) pages summarising their suitability for the role to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of the ADFI Coordinator. Please also indicate within the cover note and/or resume your nationality. The email title should read ‘ADFI Operations Consultant (General Administration, Procurement, Financial Management and Portfolio Management) and should be received latest by 05 PM GMT on 25th November 2021.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE SHORT LIST
- A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest. The consultants on the shortlist will be judged on the following criteria on the basis of their updated resume.
Level of education in general - 10%
Educational relevant to the role - 15%
Experience with the AfDB, other DFI’s, donors, key DFS stakeholders - 15%
Number of years and depth of experience relevant to the role - 45%
Language proficiency - 15%
TOTAL - 100%
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within two weeks (14 working days) of the closure date.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Visit the ADFI website to learn more about our work and mandate www.adfi.org.