REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
Permanent Address: Avenue Jean-Paul II, 01 B.P. 1387, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Financial Sector Development Department/ Financial Intermediation and Inclusion Division
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) “the Bank” hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following Assignment: Digital Financial Services (DFS) Consultant for the Africa Digital Financial Inclusion Facility “ADFI” or “the Facility” in the Financial Sector Development Department (PIFD).
- ADFI was established in 2019 and represents a partnership of the Bank working with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), Agence Française de Développement (AfD) the Ministry of Finance, Government of Luxembourg and the French Treasury, Ministry for the Economy and Finance as the Initial Donors. ADFI seeks to break down the barriers to DFS growth and uptake in order to advance financial inclusion through catalytic and strategic investments throughout Africa. ADFI’s design was informed by an in-depth market assessment that looked at the factors affecting DFS growth and uptake in several countries and regions in Africa. The Facility has identified four pillars of intervention to work across namely; (i) Infrastructure (ii) Policy and Regulation (iii) Products and Innovation and (iv) Capacity Building with Gender as a cross cutting theme.
- The coordination unit set up by the Bank to operationalise ADFI is seeking to contract two (2) highly experienced DFS consultants whose expertise incorporates a good understanding of payment systems preferably in developing and emerging countries, to support its program objectives. The DFS consultants under the general supervision of the ADFI coordinator will work in collaboration with the Bank’s officers from the headquarters and field offices as well as with ADFI donors and other ecosystem stakeholders.
- The consultants will primarily be responsible for project origination, design, structuring, terms negotiation and implementation oversight as well as provision of high-level technical advice to project sponsors and implementation teams. By virtue of their experience and engagement with key DFS ecosystem players, the DFS consultants will also support ADFI’s advocacy and fundraising efforts by ensuring consistently high-quality project development and implementation as well as effective networking with DFS ecosystem stakeholders. They will also contribute to the knowledge management and communication dissemination efforts for their projects and assigned focus areas within ADFI.
- The successful candidates will have at least ten years core DFS experience; hold a masters degree in any of the development disciplines; have proven experience in project origination, design, implementation and proposal writing; be fluent in written and oral English with fluency and/or a working knowledge of French as an added advantage.
- The Contract Term is for two years with periodic and annual evaluations. The consultants will be based at the African Development Bank headquarters in Abidjan Côte d’Ivoire. The expected start dates are between 1st November 2021 and 1st January 2022.
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Procurement Policy for Recruitment of Corporate Consultants. Please, note that interest expressed by a Consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE SHORT LIST
- A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest and will be judged on the following criteria.
Number of years of experience relevant to the mission - 20%
Language proficiency - 15%
Knowledge and experience within the region - 25%
Depth of experience - 40%
- Interested and suitable candidates should submit a brief cover note in MS word of no more than three (3) pages summarising their suitability for the role and an updated resume of not more than 4 pages to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate within the cover note your nationality and your level of fluency in English and French. The email title should read ‘ADFI DFS Consultant Application’ and should be received latest by 12 midnight GMT 03rd of October 2021.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and provided with a full Terms of Reference to respond to in more depth. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within two weeks (14 working days) of the closure date.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.